Castello di Monte Ursino 1.jpg

IL CASTELLO DI MONTE URSINO

BALUARDO DIFENSIVO DELLA COSTA

might interest you...

SAM_1996.JPG

Redazione: Nolitourism.it

Logo ridotto.jpg

Castello di Monte Ursino, da torre di avvistamento a complesso fortificato

SAM_0386.JPG

Redazione: Nolitourism.it

Logo ridotto.jpg

Passeggiata Dantesca, la natura a due passi dal mare

SNC01421.jpg

Redazione: Nolitourism.it

Logo ridotto.jpg

Chiesa San Paragorio, il Monumento simbolo di Noli

 

The original building was erected as a signal tower, to alert the town inhabitants in case of arrival of the Saracens from the sea. But the building was renovated several times over the centuries. The current building is the result of the renovations made in 1552 under the suggestion coming from the Republic of Genoa, to adapt the castle and the walls to resist the new gunpowder weapons. It is now based on a irregular polygonal fence that surrounds the main tower; beside it, we can see the ruins of two later towers. The hill with the same name is also the seat of other historical heritages, as the ruins of ancient hillside houses named “casacce”: From the castle two different lines branch out in two different directions: one towards the seafront, down to the Scino Gate (the ancient Customs, which was completely destroyed) and another towards the city centre, down to the Quattro Canti Tower.